Saturday, February 7, 2009

When I think of the coming heat



When I think of the coming summer heat which I will descend rapidly and mercilessly, I have this picture to keep in mind. This photo was sent by a friend in icy Canada which was used to protest against global warming. Aircon Dubai is very guilty. They are even thinking of cooling a patch of sand for a beach in summer. Imagine the added carbon footprint. Well, may be they will not because I wouldn't be surprised that they have no funds for it.

Meanwhile neighbouring Abu Dhabi is building a carbon neutral city outside Abu Dhabi. There will not be any cars on this city's streets because of a zero emission policy. The energy will come from solar panels in the desert. By day these panels will feed surplus power into the grid. At night Abu Dhabi city will return the borrowed electricity....I think we have the science to make this happen but I wonder what about the economics.

No comments: