Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Unsafe school buses

Should I let the girls ride the school bus to and from school? Aside from charging us shylock rates, I still recall my research sitting in front of my tiny Acer Inspire One PC in our serviced apartment the horrible statistics of children killed by their school bus. I had no mood to blog about it then. Something tell me I will read about such criminal acts again. That day has come too soon. It was not even four months ago.

It is a miracle, and if you are a believer, it must God's grace that not more people die on the roads here. If I want to, I can just have a blog dedicated to traffic incidents here.

Here is the tragic story from Gulf News.


4-year-old girl run over by school bus
WAM Published: February 24, 2009, 23:04


Ras Al Khaimah: A kindergarten bus ran over a four-year-old Palestinian girl student in Al Rams area. She was pronounced dead at the ICU of Saqr Hospital. Medical sources said that the girl had suffered serious injuries in different parts of her body and acute bleeding in the brain.

The victim, Huda Ali, was on her way back from the kindergarten in the bus driven by a 30-year-old Yemeni driver and the bus supervisor accompanied her to a safe place near her house and returned to the bus to drive other students. Colonel Hassan Al Jeeda, Chief of Traffic Section at the emirate's Traffic and Licensing Department said that the girl suddenly remembered that she has forgotten her jacket in the bus and returned to collect it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, sad thing. Do have the same issue but will not leave my girls with this crazy bus drivers ! Guess another crazy thing over here. The sarcastic thing about it...do drive since 12 years in Europe but had to transfer my licence to an UAE one. With the result that you are treated now like an 18 years old ( young ) beginner ! Can tell you that over in Europe about 99 percent of the people driven here be forced to continue by walking as their licence would be taken away for being unable to drive!