Sunday, February 22, 2009

A night's walk



We are so fortunate to have several cool months each year. I have walked here many times with Daisy. It is just downstairs of our condo, and this path lead to and from the supermart a few hundred metres away. Tonight I walked here alone, not for pleasure but to buy bread to make the sandwiches for Zhen to take to school tomorrow. Daisy was busy upstairs with the weekly ironing. Every week I had volunteered to help her, which I used to do before the children came, but she had always insisted on taking on this load. To make this less of a chore, she watched the telly at the same time. The children are happy to join her.

We used to take short walks downstairs of our apartment block in Singapore too. We can do it all year round as long as it isn't raining. Over here, I was told it would be too warm even in the evening during summer, but right now the coolness outside is like Cameron Highlands or Fraser Hills I remember long ago.

Tonight something special happened almost immediately after I took the shot above with my PDA phone. An Arab man called me from his car. I thought he needed directions since it is quite routine for people to get lost in Dubai. No, this chap was from Saudi Arabia. His car registration plate was totally unfamiliar and in Arabic only. He needed my help. With his struggling English we tried to communicate. I went away thinking Allah must have answered his prayer. I thought of the Malay friends I met here who said they would pray for us too.

No comments: