Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Right Direction?

In writing this blog, I often try to stand outside myself and imagine what the "typical" Singaporean might feel about this place. There are no "typical" Singaporeans, only some major or common features, which a limited writer like myself isn't capable of describing.

I have earlier read the WSJ op-ed "There's No Reason to Gloat Over Dubai's Fall," It is as usual the completely western point of view. Who are they to tell the UAE what is right or wrong direction? If the UAE becomes more like a western society, that is right; otherwise it is wrong? Well those societies just led us into the financial and economic crisis of the century. Haven't they learnt their lesson in Iraq, trying to transform an ancient society? Intolerable arrogance and hubris.

As far as I can understand this, the Singaporean approach is to identify and then grow our common space. We might disagree, may be even quarrel with each other in the process of increasing that space but that is fine. It is based on mutual respect.

I am not totally sure what is right, and I think most of the time we are better able to ascertain what more right or "righter" than what is absolutely right. Such pride always goes before a fall.

So Right is a journey and not a destination. Even as I believe in salvation by grace only through the incarnate and ressurected God-Son, I am still learning and continually amazed by that bottomless grace we are welcomed to drink from. I grow not because I am right, but because I am getting "righter". By being unsure all the time, I am sure.

Meanwhile we are watching but also suffering together with the West being taken to the cleaners so that he learns not to be so sure of his ways. He does not and never had the monopoly of what is Right.


We Should Encourage The UAE's Progress

I strongly concur with Zvika Krieger ("There's No Reason to Gloat Over Dubai's Fall," op-ed, Feb. 20). Having just returned from a visit to Abu Dhabi and Dubai, I had the opportunity to see the situation firsthand. As Mr. Krieger says, we can find plenty of reasons to criticize the United Arab Emirates, including the recent visa denial for an Israeli athlete. Yet the fact remains that these emirates are making tremendous progress in reforming their societies. They are moving in the right direction and they deserve our help and encouragement. Let us save our criticism for those nations that are clearly moving in the wrong direction.

Vahan Janjigian New York

No comments: