Sunday, February 8, 2009

More are renting, not buying cars



It is a little hard to tell from the photo. In the middle of the back there is a "Diamondlease" sticker, i.e., this is a rental car. On both the driver and front passenger are seat cushions which the car rental company certainly did not provide. I have something similar on my rental car too.

Rumors and newspaper reports are that a growing number of people are renting rather than buying cars given the uncertain employment market here. I have even heard that the used car market has practically evaporated. Dealers are not accepting used cars any more. If they do, it is at ridiculous prices. A story I heard has a two month old BMW purchased for 280K AED sold to a dealer for 100K AED. The owner even have to travel to another emirate to make this sale. This morning Daisy emailed me to tell a just purchased Merc needed to find a new owner. The asking price is only 99K AED. Meanwhile far away in Japan, I read that Toyota has lost its top ratings from Moody and the company has reported a USD 5billion loss.

Looks like toxic debt has also found their way to cars and make them toxic too. I am keeping my rental car for as long as possible. It is a pricey way to drive but at least the poison is with the rental company.

No comments: