Saturday, November 8, 2008

Lectures on Road Signs and Safe Driving



25 years ago, when I passed my driving test on my first attempt, the drivers' training scene in Singapore was still very undeveloped. My driving instructor spoke to me in Mandarin, the basic theory test was called Highway Code test and there was no advanced theory test, much less formal lectures. I trained on the instructor's personal Datsun, now called Nissans. The training car had no aircon, no automatic gears and I also have to learn hand signals. There was also no circuit to train in. I was already out of the car park - read the equivalent of circuit, and onto the road by the third lesson.

I spent the whole morning at the driving school attending lectures. I was hoping to take my Signals test too but the RTA staff were off for the weekend.

Overall the quality of slides and the delivery by the lecturer was excellent. I wonder if those guys back home still use Singlish, but here the gentleman spoke very good English and is also very polite. Nobody were made butt of jokes or what we might say back home as, "tio swan". Some of the attendees were very active and gave very good answers to the questions asked.

Because of the 25-year gap, I can't compare this to Singapore, but I rate them quite highly.

No comments: