Tuesday, November 4, 2008

First driving lesson



Had my first driving lesson today, more than 25 years after I passed first time in Singapore. What did I learn? My instructor said I drove quite well but I also know I am likely to fail the test if I do not have a few familiarisation classes because the emphasis here is different. Also along the way, we have picked up advanced skills that the tester would not find acceptable.

Naturally I drove like a veteran and my instructor allowed me to go on a long tour faraway from the driving school. I went to International City, Academic City, Mirdiff etc., We had quite a bit of fun.

My instructor was quite good. He mixed fun with instruction on what testers in Dubai look out for. To him, I failed the roundabout test. The truth is actually a communication problem. At the roundabout, I mostly did not know where he wanted me to go, and so I often am forced to switch lanes when I am already in the circle!

By the way, you must have noticed there were so many unused cars in the training yard. I think they welcome a lot more business. Strangely the waiting time to begin training for non-VIP trainees is four months! I paid up for the VIP package, and it costs me bomb. My waiting time to my first lesson was just two weeks. Surely money is not everything but everything is money!

No comments: