Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Water is precious in the Desert



You can tell from this photo that I have bought far too many packs of water. Back home you get your water from the tap, boil it and if you prefer it cold pour it into a tumbler to be placed in a fridge. Here everyone buys water, and I have inadvertantly developed a habit of buying too much. Each time I push a trolley in a supermart, I feel that I must carry back some water. I think I should just quit this and start ordering them to be delivered in 5-gallons bottles.

There is a brand of bottled water that sometimes taste like our new water back home. To avoid being sued, I am not mentioning their name here. Also my Canadian friend daughter works for them.

We have experimented with several brands and have settled for Masafi, which I am told is the choice of the Emiratis. We have to avoid Evian, Volvic and Perrier. They have set a far too high standards for price. Ideally you should only pay so much for water without even knowing how much it costs, otherwise you would eventually count the number of times you go to the toilet too right?

2 comments:

James Yong said...

I'm curious what did they do in those days before bottled water became commonly available? It's not that long ago - 15 years back maybe?

navimap said...

I supposed they had oases then, and the pop. was much smaller. Anyway I was told that they have some mountain water, which is where the Masafi water is supposed to come from.

They have their version of new water here too which is not human drinkable. It is given to the plants.