Wednesday, January 28, 2009

CNY Vehicle Accidents



As far back as I can remember, with the exception of last year; I have always spotted at least one road accident on Singapore roads over the Chinese New Year holidays. Here in Dubai, I have seen about four or five in the last three or four days (they don't celebrate CNY here), and many near misses beside. The standard of driving here is pathetic, the worst I have seen among all the places I have visited. Perhaps another time after I am sure it is safe to share, I will tell you how I passed my driving test here on my first attempt.

I had wanted to take some shots of these accidents but it was difficult with both my hands behind the wheels. There was one two days ago that involved four cars, two of them taxis along the SZR, their main freeway.

Today I got my chance to get an accident photo (see above). This was at the girls' school car park. The damage is away from our view and I also didn't want to be seen snapping away. I zoomed in from far away. The driver's side door of the Toyota Landcruiser was bashed in, probably by the reversing white GM SUV. Looks like if GM could not beat Toyota in the market place, this may be the way to go!

Now in this crazy place, you don't move your vehicles unless it is obstructing the road - In this instance a car park. The drivers are waiting, probably till kingdom come for the police to arrive. Without a police report no vehicle workshop will repair the damage.

Many of the rules and ways here are crazy. I think it is entirely appropriate to invite Gurmit Singh here to tell them to, "Use your..." If you have watched Phua Chu Kang on TV, you know what I mean!

No comments: