Friday, January 2, 2009

Celebrating New Year



New Year has always been a quiet affair for us, so quiet that I cannot remember any of them except one trip with our friends to Tree Top Walk two years ago. We should try to do that walk again on our home visit.

Two years ago, we visited the Ski Dubai (see picture). On New Year evening, we had dinner in a Vietnamese restaurant overlooking the ski. Earlier in the afternoon we went to Spring Bamboo near Lamcy Plaza for lunch after we took the wrong turn. We had planned to go to Festival Centre as the children like a restaurant there (I can't remember the name). They were understandably dismayed by the change of plans.

New year's eve is also our wedding anniversary. This is the twentieth year already, how time flies. We had a Jap lunch at the Crowne Plaza hotel. Back home we usually go for a buffet dinner in a hotel, and of course we get fleeced for doing so. Twenty years ago, the banquet manager at Holiday Inn Parkview pleaded with me to change the date of the wedding reception and I refused. She had made the mistake of giving away the ballroom to me on the 31st. Every year after that the hospitality industry has been extracting its pound of flesh from me. No problem, many things are not to be measured with money. The money path has caused many to know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You gotta watch those banquet managers - I should know, I'm one.
So You Want To Be a Banquet Manager