Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Taking driving lessons again!


I sat across the desk of the senior official from the RTA (their LTA equivalent). I told him I have 25 years of experience on the road. He was very apologetic. He told me the rules have changed. I cannot go directly for the driving test. I need a minimum of twenty lessons!


My driving class will start in about two weeks time. I signed up for the VIP package to accelerate the process but of course it comes with a handsome price tag.

It used to be we could exchange our drivers' licence for theirs. Not any more. I shan't go into the details except that our consulate has not been successful with helping us. We are left pretty much on our own to solve this problem ourselves.

Lots of people ride the cab to the driving centre for the lessons. As it is hard to get a cab from here, they get the cab to wait for them. Imagine the cost!

Dubai has no personal income tax but many creative, honestly clumsy indirect taxes. If you don't want to pay them, stay at home and live like as a recluse, even that you still have to pay the 5% municipality tax. Surely death and taxes are the two constants in life.

By the way, the weekly updated Dubai government website continues to insist that our drivers' licence can be exchanged for theirs. They have refused to update it. I can think of several possibilities but this is not the place to discuss this.

1 comment:

James Yong said...

What a meaningless hassle this retaking of driving lessons is !